Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Hustle & Flow

I thought I would take advantage of my first free evening in over a week and just go straight crazy on this blog tonight. This week I have come across so many thought provoking items. I couldn't wait to get on and take all those reflections out all over these keys. Instead, I just want to chill. I want to kick back with some magazines, a glass of iced tea, have the TV on in the background, and chill. So that's what I'm going to do. But since I don't want to keep my readers waiting any longer, I thought I'd finally share my good news with all who have been patiently waiting to hear it.

Your girl TLA is a producer. For the past two weeks I have been 'auditioning' as an intern producer for the Hot Boyz show on Power 99 (WUSL-FM 98.9) in Philadelphia. I finally got the word that I can keep the gig for a while. The powers that be wanted to make sure that I could "gel" well with the DJ's and gelled we did. This experience has been wonderful for me thus far. I am learning to come out of my shell so to speak. Writing can be such a solitary experience. Being able to be around people all the time, interacting with callers on the phones, and having a first hand view of what it takes to put a radio show together is amazing.

What do I do as a producer? I take song requests, update the web page, give talking points to the DJ's, and research statistical information on record sales. I monitor & log equipment function and schedule & prep in studio guests. One of the most exciting things I have learned is to record and edit callers using this piece of equipment. You have no idea how much people scream, curse, and holler when they know they are going to be on the radio. What you hear is no where near what I hear preedit.

The two DJ's I work with are really cool. I feel like I am being slowly initiated into a frat as its only female member. They speak softly when I need assurance and harder when I should know better. They keep me on my toes and make me work hard. The more I accomplish, the more willing they are to teach. I love it. They are teachers that I know will become friends.

Yesterday they asked me for ideas to revamp the show. Since I am a woman with a million ideas in her head, I shared one that they seemed to like a lot. Since we were all in a sharing mood, they shared some ideas they had with me in mind. Yup, they want TLA to be on the air covering a feature. I won't divulge yet because they still need to be approved, but if all goes well you'll get to listen to the sweet melodious voice of TLA over the airwaves sooner than you think.

In the next few weeks I'm going to be speaking to a creative writing class at a college about the hustle of a freelance writer. Getting paid too. Who would have ever guessed I'd be speaking to a class of people about how to hustle words and parlay that into other avenues? Not I. The biggest thing I'm learning is that there are no limits to this writing game. The sky is the limit and when change comes, you've got to be ready. I'm not cocky enough to say I was born ready. Not yet anyway. But to bite my girl O, what I know for sure is that the blessing of my gift for words keeps opening doors and its not a coincidence. Its divine intervention working in combination with my drive and passion that's making me unstoppable.

Aight, Hip Hop Honors repeats and Time Out NY have waited long enough. I'll hold on to my thoughts and share with you next post.

Oh yeah, still haven't watched that movie, but I did catch this one . Thumbs up for sure.

4 comments:

ChampagneBlogs said...

YES YES YES!!!! That is so great Ms. TLA and the title of this blog is so appropriate for all that you have been up to and into as of late!!! I'm proud of you sista! You haven't let anyone come between you and your hustle and surely no one can stop your flow!!

I'm just going to leave a little love from the Rev Run on your blog... it's a repeat *wink*

The only way to be very blessed is to become very intense.
The world can't help but to bless a diligent person! If you look at the lives of those who are very successful you will notice one similarity-they are diligent!! The scripture clearly states in Proverbs 12:24 that diligent people are blessed people. Keep going!!!!!!!!!!

God is Love
Rev Run

Anyway, back to your blog sounds like a fun new gig and I know you are on the road for bigger and better keep doing whatcha doing so you can keep heading on your succes road.... it's never over!

Alright so as you set your slf up as a motivational speaker...lol.. um you'll need an events coordinator.... teehee

Anonymous said...

The Carolina Gardener says....

"God's strong hand is on you; He'll promote you at the right time. Live carefree before God; he is most careful with you." 1 Peter 5:6-7

I read this piece of scripture recently and I think that your "right time" is just starting.
So, baby GO FOR IT! Ride those waves fearlessly. Take advantage of those that have been put in your space. Humble yourself.

Grace & Peace

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Yo, do dat dere!