Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Ebert Doesn't Live Here

I took a few days off last week to visit my mother and we went to see "The Reader". By now my fellow movie heads will know that six-time Oscar nominee Kate Winslet won the best actress statue a few week ago for her role in the movie. Initially, I wasn't that excited about seeing another movie that was Holocaust related. I had already seen 'Schindler's List' and 'The Diary of Anne Frank'. The Holocaust was horrible, no doubt about it. I changed my mind about seeing it so after one star shaped hole punch on her frequent movie watcher card, we sat in plush stadium seating and watched Kate do her thing.

I won't give the plot away in case you decide to see it for yourself. I'd have to agree with the academy that Ms. Winslet did a great job. The movie was Holocaust related, but the horror of the event wasn't so in your face. You actually had a chance to focus on the well developed storyline and catch another good performance by the always stellar Ralph Fiennes.

After the movie, I wondered if aging in a movie equals automatic Oscar nomination? (Brad and Taraji anyone?) There's something about aging on screen and maintaining an accent for hours that just reels voters in. Meryl Streep knows what I'm talking about. Kate Winslet aged, maintained an accent, and turned in a performance that just couldn't be ignored. Triple threat. Kudos to Kate.

I did want to catch Milk and Doubt, but they will both be on DVD soon enough. Since I enjoyed City of God so much, its only logical for my movie loving mind to see 'Gomorrah' next. It's been lauded for being the "thinking persons gangsta movie". Of course I'll provide a detailed review later on. In the meantime, check out the trailors for 'The Reader' and 'Gomorrah' and tell me what you think. Seem interesting?

What's next on your movie list? TLA wants to know...












1 comment:

Jay1 said...

i wanna see gomorrah. that looks good.