Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Casual Style Fashionista Dreams

I love watching the show 'What Not To Wear'. Stacey and Clinton perform magic on people. They take the drab and unstylish, transforming them into people who appear as if they were fabulous all the while. The only sad part about the show is that someone has to nominate you. That means someone in your circle thinks you are a clothing dullard. Ouch.

The nominee is usually full of emotion after getting over the initial shock of realizing that their style game is seriously lacking. After Stacey and Clinton raid your closet its off to NY for a style intervention, minus the plush hotel room with Candy waiting to whisk you off to rehab for the formerly chic. The beginning of this overhaul begins after you arrive at the studio. You are allowed to perform a few final spins of shame, modeling your sad threads in a 360 degree mirror for the world to see before they literally trash your clothes. Like in the trash can trashed. Sometimes I think they should spray bleach on them because people do dig things out and wear them on shopping day, (attachment disorder?)but I digress...

They send you out to shop in New York with the none too subtle product placed "Visa Check Card" for $5,000 and tips on what to look for when shopping. Afterwards, Nick and Carmindy hook your do and face up and its off to model the new you for Stacey and Clinton. They gush over you through three outfit changes and send you home to make your fashionable debut for the friends and loved ones that nominated you in the first place.

Sometimes while watching the show I imagine myself entering the party room, hearing the roar of a crowd so pleased to witness my unconscious hidden beauty being finally revealed. I'd smile, wave and blow air kisses to everyone. Of course someone would yell, "Spin around!" and I would twirl and think "In your face!" on the first spin and "Thanks for caring" on the second. Style is love, right?

My fashion game is definitely lacking. I'm such a slave for comfort many times I'm willing to forgo pants for jeans, sneakers for shoes. I'm a fast mover that usually always feel the need to be prepared to move fast, whatever the reason. A sudden downpour could occur. Who wants to get wet? Being able to move from one place to another with the wanna be speed of Jackie Joyner-Kersee is important. I've looked at people who wear heels on the regular and think, "I'd be past them so fast if I took off running right now. Thank you trusty sneakers." Even movies are smart enough to know that when the running high-heeled woman really wants to run, the shoes come off. You think Lola would have gotten far in Manolo's? Probably not.

I've always been a casual girl with dreams of super-flyness. I've already told my most stylish cousin Holly that when my big check arrives, I'll definitely hire her (per diem of course) to be my fashion go to guide. She even gives style counseling on the phone when I'm in one of my indecisive binds. A quick cell phone picture snapped is returned with a text of yea or nay, complete with suggestions. (Technology is magic I tell ya.) She helps me create temporary fashion illusions and choose clothes that will add to my small collection of grab and go outfits.

I must admit, I'm getting better with choosing clothes. I clean up nicely. For the most part, I still tend to shop on the need to have basis, but when I do, I think I'm making better, bolder choices. Who knows, one day I might be that fierce chick on the street with a style game that can't be beat.

What are you dear reader? Are you the stylist or the stylee? Do you phone in fashion 911's on the regular? Where are you on the fashion meter?







2 comments:

supasistah said...

I would call myself an "almost fashionista". Almost because while I LOVE and admire fashion and those that create and wear it (I am a self professed Project Runway addict!)I tend to stay in my lane - conservative, relatively stylish but never one to take risks. I play it safe. I tend to stick with styles (and colors for that matter) that don't scream "look at me" but rather signal classic and simple. I buy most of career wear from Bananna Republic and the Gap...with a few nice lables thrown in off the rack from TJ Maxx or some other cheap discount place where i can find a great designer find.

I often disappoint myself when it comes to a major event. I'm really not one to think about what I'm going to wear until maybe the day before. That's when it will occur to me that I need something to wear. So there I am either running to some store to find something quick or going for the tried and true black outfit that always seem to work whatever the occasion. I truly admire those women that seem to pull off looking fabulous effortlessly...it has to be an inherent talent...for real!

loverton said...

I think I have my own style and I like to be comfortable at all times. Like you I will forfit jazzy shoes to wear to work, for some comfy shoes. Lately I need to step up my shoe game. Yes I'm a tall woman that's not that comfy in high heals LOL! I had a former co-worker tell me I dress like a 2009 version of Blossom that's AA (remember that TV show ?)