Saturday, February 21, 2009

Movie Snob Anonymous


I was reading one of my new favorite blogs by Aliya King yesterday about the new Tyler Perry movie "Madea Goes to Jail". I cringed when I read it (ironically while watching "A Family That Preys") because I knew I was going to see it today. My other gig includes taking impressionable young women out to a movie that's "safe" to see from time to time. They begged to see Madea, and against my better movie judgement, today I found myself standing in a curling line of fans waiting for tickets.

I should have known I was going to be in the company of serious TP fans based on snippets of conversation I overheard standing in line. The five year old sporting fresh Tims while sucking his pacifier was nothing compared to the adult TP fans in line.

"You know I heard he is a cross dresser and invented Madea from that."

"Why Madea breast always flying around?"

"Ooh I hope Mr. Brown is in this one. He is so funny." (He is funny--for about 2 minutes)

"I saw the bootleg on 52nd Street yesterday, but I decided to give a nigga my money today and take my son out." (son with pacifier)

Once the lights went down I tried to psych myself up. Get your mind right girl. You can do this. It will be over in two hours and you can get on with your life.

Sapphire's book turned movie "Push" was a good trailer. Oh, Vin Diesel is still fast and furious? The recession is touching everyone I see. Something about spirits living in a house with a family people who find out evil wants to claim one of them but they don't move out. Riiiiiiight.

Did this lady just give her daughter a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and an extra large HUG juice out of her purse? Yup.

The movie starts.

Fast forward one hour and forty three minutes.

The movie ends.

You already know how it went without seeing a thing. Madea cuts up, problems were presented, Madea cuts up, subliminal sermon mid way through, errors of ones ways are revealed, lost love gets found, evil person gets theirs, Madea cuts up one last time, the end. Oh yeah, and Rudy Huxtable is a heroin addicted prostitute. How's that for evil subplot?
If I could say anything to TP, I'd have only five words to say. Take it to another level.

I don't know, maybe I'm a movie snob. I like my films indy and my dialogue crisp. I actually don't mind thinking when I watch a movie. I like intelligent humor too. A harsh critic if you will. I pre-screen most movies without seeing a trailer. Extensive research on films is done prior to release. Any Sundance/Tribeca Film Festival/Cannes buzz? Who's in it? What's it about? Who wrote it? Directed & Written by? All these elements need to combine perfectly for me to plop down my frequent movie club card and ticket money.

What type of movie goer are you? Speak your mind...

6 comments:

supasistah said...

Wouldn't call myself a movie snob but I do go for a really in depth documentary, and indie it it's not too far out and the major studio films. Thsi year I had to see the Doubt, The Reader, Revolutionary Road, Secret Life of Bees...as well as some AA movies I enjoyed like The Family that Preys, and Unbreakable (the TD jakes film that literally brought me to tears).

I remember a few years back I refused to one of the first Madea films because although I was not familiar with Tyler Perry's Plays, I considered it very chitlin circuitish in a way that made fun of Black folks, our ways our culture and spoke to stereotypes that didn't need to be blasted in full living color on screen. Fast forward to a trip I made to visit my Godmother. She insisted we see Diary of a Mad Black Woman. I have to admit...I laughed until I cried at some parts of the film. OK...he got me. Tyler Perry was able to walk that fine line and capture the vernacular and idiosyncrisies of so many women that I knew (grandmothers, aunts) in a way that made me laugh and made me feel familiar. I had to admit that I saw some of myself and my family in the crazieness of his scripts. I couldn;t be mad at him for coming from being literally homeless to a film mogul in a decade. I have to cheer him on. There's room for a Tyler Perry...and a Spike Lee even if Spike does make a weird film from time to time.

In any case...I'm looking forward to a indie documentary Troublehttp://www.troublethewaterfilm.com/ and the philly film fest. I love movies in all of the variety and different perspectives they offer. Now...where I draw the line. Soul Plane. I refuse to ever see it. They shouldn't be allowed to make movies like that. Period. LOL

Anonymous said...

@supasistah

I definitely admire the focus and grind TP had to endure in order to see his dreams of being a major player in the Hollywood game. He has a strong impact and control over some of the images of African American see at the movies. He owns and runs his own studio that employs future African American filmakers.

In this post I tried to separate the art from the man.

I admit, his actor helmed movies are more appealing. 'Why Did I Get Married' and 'Diary of a Mad Black Woman' had there high points. But have I seen a character in one of his films that hasn't had extreme, negative circumstances to overcome? An outstanding dramatic performances during a TP movie? I'd love to, but I haven't yet.

I just wish he'd step up his character development and expand the variety of African American images. There are multiple stories to be told and they all don't begin with laughter only to be tidied up with a big red bow at the end.

It's all about preferance. Some people like vanilla. Some chocolate. It's all ice cream.

Anonymous said...

TP is buffonery and you really can't expect anything but that from him at this point. Everyone has a purpose and his purpose is laughter and Spike's purpose is awareness.
If TP can put buffonery on display at it's total extreme it SEEMS it would make people want to be and do better so as not to look the fool.. Let's face it there are families and people that someone somewhere knows that act this way but throughout the movies there is one thing that isn't always equal to real life... and that's a happy ending and togetherness. His ability to bring friends and family together to watch his films or plays is a different level because they brought black families to the theatre. Tyler always manages to slip family love, togetherness and hope in the ending. He's brought a lot of unknown actors and actresses to the forefront.
I would like to see diversity from Tyler and I believe he proved that with The Family That Preys so I do hope to get more laughs from him but also some better dramady.

Anonymous said...

@champagnereadsblogs

I don't think skeptics (myself included)should expect must difference in TP's style of filmaking. He found a lane and he's staying in it.For now. I'll remain optimistic, but not much.

loverton said...

Ditto to everything supasistah said. Including movies like "Soul Plane". There's something about TP movies that are hysterical and relates to all families of color. We all have relatives in our families that are soo much like characters in his movies. Even his serious movies are dope. "The Family That Preys" was all that! I think without being too critical (hint, hint to those movies snobs!!) you have to accept his movies for what they are.

Anonymous said...

@loverton

TP has something for many people on some level. He's found a lane and audience and is staying loyal to both with his particular style of film making.