Wednesday, August 22, 2007

How I'm Livin'

I'm going to be kind of busy today. I need to do some research for tomorrows interview, formulate some questions for it, work on my short, and try to keep calm all at the same time. Can I do it? Yes I can! I feel so motivated today. I'm Richard Simmons with hair. I'm Mary Poppins with a tan. I'm Sinclair from Living Single. I'm Mountain Dew. Ever wake up feeling like that? All bubbly and stuff? Yesterday I got a lot of love from friends and I really needed it. As rough as the day could have been, the phone calls and emails I got made it better than I could have expected it to be. Thanks for your comments about the last post too. It lets me know they are being read (BTW-keep spreading the word about my blog) but more importantly that my words provoked thought. Thank you.

Being off in the summer means many things. One of them is that I get to watch as much mindless television as I want when time permits. Some people listen to the radio while they clean. Me? I keep a little Jerry or Maury on for my background noise/ignorance when I write in the mornings. Today's episode is about fat kids. How can a child be two years old and weigh 68 pounds you ask? By having 23 cups of chocolate milk, unlimited cookies, all the Hostess cakes they want, and devouring whole pizzas that's how! Now I know sometimes it can be a medical condition that blows kids up, but these kids ain't sick. Mommy is loving them with food. Love good. Loving with food? Not so good. Be careful Mommy, you don't want them posting here. Its a hard knock life for fat kids.

Usually, when I'm done writing and don't have any plans, I like to watch TLC 's A Baby Story, follow it up with some Cheaters, and end the day with the boys in blue on Cops. I don't know what it is about Cops that I love so much. Just cop shows period--Dallas Swat, The First 48, and Dog The Bounty Hunter(well he isn't really a cop, but he is cop like since he does cuff people). I respect what they do; however, since I often have difficulty with the way they do it, actually seeing 5-0 in action helps me keep it all in perspective.

Has anyone noticed how much more the Jena 6 case has been in the media? Michael Baisden has been talking about it a lot on his radio show lately too. Yesterday he asked listeners, "Why is it so hard to get black folks together to fight for justice?" I don't know Mike. All I know is Don Imus calling sistas nappy headed ho's got much play. Three nooses on a tree? Nada mas. Wanna get involved? Its not hard. Just go here, sign the petition, or make a donation, or forward the site to everyone in your address book, and spread the word. Fight the power.

Sometimes when I get new music I just listen to the same songs over and over. Lately its been Eric Roberson's The Vault 1.5. Tracks 1,2,3,7, & 8 are my favorites. I had the pleasure of meeting him for dinner a few weeks ago and it was one of the best interviews I've done so far. Very down to earth and open. Even though I asked a lot of questions, so did he. Sometimes it seemed as if we were old friends. If you like your singers to have a voice that combines itself with phenomenal lyrics, check him out. You won't be disappointed.

I kind of hate to keep talking about Foxy Brown, but she did go to jail today. Have ya'll been praying? Sometimes people have to learn things the hard way, and maybe this is hers. Who knows? On the upside, my latest interview with super producer Dame Grease is up. One thing I've noticed when interviewing folks with a connection to Hip Hop is they all have a passion for it. Without it, they aren't sure what they would be doing. It might seem like a 'deep' thing to say, but that's what Hip Hop does to folks. It incites passion and sparks creativity. Yeah it has become a billion dollar business too, but some figure out a way to balance the passion along with the business.

Aight good people, I've got stuff to do. Take it light, do it right.

3 comments:

loverton said...

So I guess I'm late because I have no clue about the "Jena 6" case. And Mr. Baisden is right, it is hard to get people of color to come together to fight for justice...Are we becoming immune to how society handles justice pertaining to people of color? Not Michael Vick's criminal stuff!! We had lots to say about him. I will stop typing now cuz this will turn into a blog!!

Anonymous said...

I'm going to sign that petition for the Jena 6. I'm so ignorant that the 1st I ever heard of this was when I read this Blog. Good job TLA you're spreading knowledge.
Sometimes I play hookie from work to watch Maury and Judge Mathis. I love Judge Mathis! My secret fear is that I will be the fat kids mommy on Maury. My son is so huge and I'm like WTF! He's 5 months old 23 lbs, 26" long and is in 12 month clothes and a size 4 shoe...Is he a giant I ponder. I am a tall girl and his daddy is too. IS this normal or will I be on Maury while he is in a depends because baby diapers dont fit him and I'm screaming at the audience "I'm not gonna deprive my baby" I swear all he eats is rice cereal and enfamil. Maybe he's just big naturally, he's cute though. But as Loverton before me said this is not a blog it's a comment so off to sign that petition. Thanks for the knowledge sistah!

Anonymous said...

Carolina Gardener says....

TJMS had an update on "Jena 6" this morning so the word is out there.
Caint watch the daytime craziness on TV been reading anything by Pearl Cleage lately.