Thursday, August 30, 2007

Little of this, Some of that

Did ya miss me? I missed you. I missed you so much I stayed up late last night thinking I should have updated. I felt really bad because I didn't. It seemed as if something was missing in my life. I knew what it was, but was powerless to do anything about it. I put it off. I slacked. I procrastinated. Only losers procrastinate. That's what I was last night. A loser. I suck.

Sike.

Actually, I had lots of running around to do yesterday. By the time I got home, I was too tired and fried in the brain to type anything. So I showered, finished reading this months Black Enterprise magazine, listened to my #1 muse spit his educational presentation flow, and yo voy a la cama. (para todos mis hermanos y hermanas Latinos) For the rest of ya'll, that translates to I went to bed.

Speaking of magazines, I love them. Not a ride or die sort of love, but a great appreciation kind of love. I wouldn't say I was a magazine addict, but someone else might. Which is fine. I don't think having twelve (yeah I said 12!) subscriptions is a sign of addiction at all. I do read each and every one cover to cover, so I'm not wasting money. Its all about the info baby. All about the info. Now what I may be willing to admit to is perhaps having somewhat of a compulsion for information. All kinds too. But I'm picky with my info. For example, I don't care anything about work gossip. Not too concerned about the sports world either. (Well the dog fighting NFL dude story did have my attention off and on--I digress) On the other hand when I hear that Barack has a plan for New Orleans, that jail ain't treatin' Foxy too good, or that its almost time for the annual Philadelphia Cocktail Competition, my internal 'must know more' circuitry starts going bananas and the pop culture aficionado that lives inside of me just can't stop until it feels fully informed. Its a harmless cross to bear and I tend to use most of the info power I get for good writing & interesting conversation rather than spreading massive doses of negativity and hateration. Innocent enough right? Besides, I'd rather be TLA than this guy. Then I really might get accused of using my powers in a, shall we say 'aggressive' manner. If I were him, I might think I was really heading in troubles direction. Not the kind of trouble that chases balding white men, but the kind of trouble that comes along with tapping ones feet in mens room stalls all willi manilli. (My old supervisor used to say willi manilli when he really meant to willy nilly)) Not that there is anything wrong with being a bald toe tappin' white man, but the mens room isn't where I would have choosen to flex those skills. Imagine if the Nicholas Brothers had done that. Oh, the scandal.

Well on the writing tip, I got a reject letter today from Ebony. I ain't mad at them though. It was really brief but quite encouraging. My story idea didn't get rejected for any reason other than "a large backlog of previously scheduled stories". Didn't that seem reassuring? I thought so. So much so that I already have my next query letter to Ms. Ebony lady in an envelope waiting to be mailed tomorrow. I'm not playing. Being in Ebony--what?! (For full effect say the what like Dave Chappelle says it) If you don't know I can't tell you.

My girl Phish sent me an update about Shaquanda Cotton today. I did read about this case when it happened and thankfully she was eventually released. The sad thing was it didn't surprise me. After all, this is the country where a nine year old can catch a case and Bishops beat down wives. Its a good thing Stevie Wonder is on tour because hates goin' round breakin' many hearts. Loves in need to love today ya'll.

I know one thing, I am waiting on Kanye and Jill to drop. One of my peeps from Allhiphop.com went to the listening session for Kanye's Graduation CD. Me thinks the hype will be equivalent to the product. Check out the review for yourself. I don't need to read any reviews for Jill's The Real Thing because whatever she puts out I'm getting it. She has Mary J. status in my book--she can sing no wrong.

Well I said I wouldn't be a computer hog this evening, so let me get on off of here. My Mom is coming for a visit tomorrow and her room needs a little tidying up. Before I click that X, let me leave you with a question. And yes, its as serious as cancer. (Does anyone else think of Rakim lyrics when someone says they have a question?)

I was out for lunch the other day and saw the most amazing card. It was so amazing that after I checked out I had to go back to the card section to make sure I had the words in correct order so I could share them with you. On the cover of this tiny black 5 x 5 card was the most incredible question in radiant white letters. 'What would you attempt if you knew you couldn't fail?' Mull that over and let me know by leaving a comment. I'd love to hear from you. Maybe on my next post, I'll tell you what I came up with.

5 comments:

ChampagneBlogs said...

Read your blog, showing some love and leaving a note to let ya know that I passed thru... I won't always have comments sometime "it is what it is" but I'll always try to leave a lil luv in ya space

ChampagneBlogs said...

oh go check out my blog...

Anonymous said...

I just love reading your blog and yes, the lyrics pop into my head constantly. "I got a question, serious as cancer who can make the average dancer....." And Willi Manilli LOL!!!! You always make me laugh, cry, chuckle or say um um um.

loverton said...

Once again I love this blog!! And me too about "I got a question, serious as cancer". I'm also excited just for some new, innovative hip hop & R&B to come out. So I hope Kanye and Jill are coming strong!!

Anonymous said...

Nothing. The possibility of failing is the best part of success.